Becoming a CSN volunteer is a two-step process. First, we need to determine that your proposed location (home, office, etc.) would fill a "gap" in our loose quarter-mile grid spacing, and that our device and software are compatible with your home computer setup. After getting past these small hurdles, we then need to collect a bit more information from you and get the seismometer to you.
You should normally get a useful response within 3 working days, but sometimes it might stretch to a week.
- name of responsible party at the address below (an adult, if you are under 18)
- street address of proposed location, truncated to nearest 100, as in: 1200 E California Blvd, Pasadena, 91125. (rather than 1234 E California)
- computer operating system, as in Windows7 or XP or Mac OS X or Linux Ubuntu 12, etc.
- type of connection to your Internet Service Provider, as in DSL, cable modem, dialup, etc.
- is your computer normally operational 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, all year?
- is your internet connection normally operational 24/7 also?
We will ask you for additional personal information so that in the unusual event that we can't contact you successfully by email, we have other independent ways of contact. This information will consist of:
After receiving this additional contact information, we will arrange to deliver a unit to you. In some cases, you will be asked to stop by our office; in others, we will hand them out in a group setting (e.g., school classroom or community group); some we will mail out. Included with the device is a web address to use for installation.
- full address of location, which we will maintain offline in a locked cabinet
- contact phone number, which we will maintain offline in a locked cabinet